Monday, February 19, 2007

The Rhoda's

This is a tender poem that Sister Rhoda wrote and included in her letter to Gram. For those of you who have not met the Rhoda's (Henry & Florence) - they are like family to us - they joined the Church in the 1950s and are now in their 90s I think. They served for 6 years at the Washington DC Temple and now live in Sr. housing near their daughter Judy in E. Millinockett, ME. These are Florence's words:

I’m sharing what I wrote one night as I sat alone.
Henry was safely tucked in bed for the night.


A Prayer For Us


It is quiet and the hour is late
Another day has passed.
Another day of thankful wake
To practice what the Lord has asked.

“Be patient, kind and loving too
Do unto him as he’d do for you.”
When I think of things already passed
I repent of my unworthiness.

I was blind – but now I see
How hard he struggled just for me,
Not knowing what was happening
And I, too selfish to understand
And too stubborn to try.

Oh Father, forgive my foolish pride,
My selfish concern for none but I
Forgive the meanness of my thoughts
And help me live as Thou hast taught.

He needs my love, and all my care,
Depends on me for his assurance.
Let me not fail him, but be there
And trust in Thee for my endurance.

F. Rhoda

No comments: