Monday, April 4, 2011

Our Cupboard Is Not Bare!

Just finished putting 30 pounds of raisins into containers. What a sticky job that was! A couple of months ago, I decided to go pro-active about food storage and set up a monthly food order from a wholesaler and invited members and friends to order as well. It's a little bit of work to print and distribute the order sheets and collect everyone's money, but I actually like doing it, and the company trucks it all to the church in Dover for a flat rate of $2.50 no matter the size of our order! Can you imagine? We picked up our 3rd order this morning. This time I got 6 gallons of canola oil, a pound of Spanish paprika, and 50 lbs. of white whole wheat flour, along with the raisins. It's a great way to save on lots of staples - spices, grains, flours, leavenings, etc. Most things are much cheaper than the grocery stores, and I love seeing our shelves fill up. Next month I'm planning to get 30 pounds of craisins and 25 pounds of almonds or walnuts. World events don't stress me quite so much when I know my shelves are full of good wholesome nutrition.

1 comment:

Rheanna said...

That sounds like it would be way nice! None of the ones I've found around here are any cheaper-usually more expensive-than going to the regular store. I hate touching raisins...is that weird? Love to eat, but hate how sticky they are :o)