Thursday, November 17, 2011

Pie Pumpkins



Dad raised pie pumpkins this year, so encouraged by a recipe entitled Mrs. Sigg's Fresh Pumpkin Pie complete with instructions on how to start with a raw pumpkin instead of opening a can - I took up the challenge. I first did the complete process from start to finish - the pie was yummy - so then I attacked every pumpkin I could round up - 12 in all! I cut each in half - scooped out the seeds (roasted some of them) and then baked the hollowed out pumpkins, cut side down at 300 for 45 minutes - it smelled heavenly - really!

Then I let them cool enough to handle, slipped off the peelings, and put them through the food processor. I ended up with 52 cups of pureed pumpkin!! the equivalent of 26 cans - all in my freezer. Imagine that! I've since made


Gingerbread Pumpkin Bars, Easy Pumpkin Dessert Bars, and yesterday I made a


Pumpkin Citrus Bundt Cake - good stuff! I always love to bake in the fall and winter.


1 comment:

Rheanna said...

looks like a lot of fun! And cheap fun at that :)